Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Wedding Fiasco Was Great


I have never seen a wedding that was pulled off without a hitch and mine was no exception. How we deal with the little problems that crop up say a lot about our character and at the end of the day, how our memory of the event will be affected. Our wedding went so badly from an outsider's point of view that it could be deemed a disaster. To my wife and me, it was a wonderful day. Follow this path and decide for yourself.

Everything seemed to be coming together as I stood in the park with the best man and our guests for the bride to show up. We were just starting to get worried when I realized that I had my brides car keys in my pocket. My wife, in her beautiful dress had to pile into a small Toyota with her daughter, her bridesmaid, her mother, her bridesmaid's son, our granddaughter and her son and race across town with the car's brakes failing.

What had been predicted as a beautiful day turned overcast and quite windy and it sprinkled threatening rain during the outdoor service. The food and all the preparations had to be gathered by the guests and bundled into cars. We had to move the entire reception to her mother's home, which would only accommodate about half of the guests.

During the service, the pastor, no doubt flustered by the weather, used her mother's name during our vows so in affect, he asked me if I would marry the wrong person. Everyone looked at each other in anticipation, waiting to see if he made the same mistake when it really counted. Fortunately, he did not. The standing joke in the family now is that her mother actually said yes when he asked if she would promise to love and obey the groom.

The suppliers shipped garden wedding favors by mistake when we had ordered spring wedding favors. We decided to hold the favors back and not present them to the guests. I sincerely hope no one felt left out because of this. Our entertainment was canceled and settled on half of the fee since there was no room for them to set up and play at her mother's house.
Finally, on our way to the honeymoon resort, the cars engine blew up. This happened on a remote stretch of highway at four o'clock in the morning with my new wife still in her wedding dress. We made it to an all night diner where we had to hitch a ride back to a town with a motel. We wound up blowing over half of our honeymoon budget on hotel and car repairs. It cost two thousand dollars to put the car back on the road and took two days off of the trip. That does not count hotel and food costs.

Fiasco is a word that might spring into some people's mind when we relate that story however, of all the memories I have, the one most dear is the dance we shared in that lonely all night cafe in front of the old jukebox. The room we wound up staying in while the car repairs were affected was a Jacuzzi room and we enjoyed it so much that we extended the honeymoon by two days and stayed there on the way home. All in all, we had a wonderful time.

My wife would kill me if I did not include this part of out trip. We honeymooned at a remote fishing resort way out in the woods outside of Branson, MO. Since we had blown the money we were going to use to go and see the shows in Branson, we spent our time fishing. In the week that we spent there, my wife was the only person to catch a fish. I haven't lived that down to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment